Friday, April 8, 2011

Stones record with Wyman

Stones recorded a song with original bassist Bill Wyman for a Ian Stewart tribute album, and I think it's none too soon considering how they've banished him from their history, including airbrushing his photo from cover of rarities CD a couple years back and pretending it's still the Stones without him -- which it ain't.

As far as I'm concerned they quit being the Stones when Wyman left; it already had turned into Tribute City, but his leaving really kind of sealed it (literally and figuratively). If not, tell me what post-'89 Stones song belongs with the best 20 songs in their catalog? OK, the best 50 songs? I didn't think so.

I'm not saying that's due to Wyman, but he is a founder, one of the people who was there at the inception, the guy with the best amp (Vox) and the elder of the group (I think he's 90 by now).

Meanwhile, Rolling Stone, which I don't usually reference, makes a big deal of the fact that Jagger and Richards cut their contributions to this in separate studios. I think they've been working independently since the late 70s. I think I read it in RS.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rolling-stones-cover-bob-dylan-with-original-bassist-bill-wyman-20110408

No comments:

Post a Comment