Saturday, April 9, 2011

Support bands, opening acts, backup bands

Something that intrigues, the opening acts I saw over the years, some went onto greatness, others were n'er seen again. Some I can't exactly remember -- but I remember most of 'em.

Let's start with the ones who went huge after I saw them in support, I'll flush all of this out later so that all circumstances are reported because that is germane to me and this is me blog. In no particular order, number in patens is how many times I saw this band headlining in subsequent gigs.

Aerosmith (5)
Bob Seger (2)
Jeff Beck (1)
Foreigner
Cheap Trick
.38 Special (at least 3 times in support before 1978)*
Boston (1)
REO Speedwagon (2)
Kiss (3)
Jimmy Buffett (1)


There are others, i'm forgetting them, this to be continued...


* .38 Special was in support role in Atlanta for what seemed like all of the '70s but was probably '76 to around '78, and for that I give them the top prize in this category. First time i saw them was foot of day-long bill at Atlanta Stadium that ended with Kiss (one of Alex Cooley's nightmare scenarios because there were equipment and weather issues; it was a completely miserable day, and 11th grade started the following day -- WT? Makes me tired just thinking about it. Great bill marred by crappy planning.) They opened for Frampton in fall '77 at Omni, and I know I saw them open at least one show at the Fox. Interestingly, this was before Jeff Carlisi took the mic and they developed the early-'80s sound that generated innumerable hits. The middle Van Zant brother (Donny, i think) was the lead singer, and I remember he looked rougher than his elder brother of Skynyrd lore. They were nowhere near as pop-sounding as their later version, and Jeff Carlisi looked like a biker.

No comments:

Post a Comment